Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Alba NEC results, and the future of Scot Goes Pop

At this time last year, I received a friendly rap over the knuckles from Alex Salmond for accidentally revealing who had been elected to the Alba NEC before a public announcement was made.  (And it was a genuine accident - I thought the results email had been sent out to the whole Alba membership, whereas in fact it had only been sent to the candidates.)  This time, I'm not totally sure whether a public announcement has been made yet, but hopefully I'm not revealing any state secrets if I simply say that I personally haven't been re-elected, as long as I don't mention anyone else's results.  I'd like to warmly congratulate the eight people who have made the cut, and to wish them a successful year ahead.  I'd also like to thank the people who elected me twelve months ago and gave me the opportunity to experience the political world from a totally different perspective over the last year - it's been fascinating, and a genuine honour.

In terms of the meaning of my result this time, I think there are three possible interpretations, and there may be a bit of truth in all three.  Firstly, the new people who are coming on to the NEC are highly regarded - I don't know them personally, but I've heard Alba members speak very warmly of them.  So it may simply be that I've lost out due to a positive vote for high-quality candidates.  Secondly, I wasn't able to attend conference this year, because I live with a vulnerable person and still have to take the Covid risk seriously - 95% of the world (including, frankly, the Alba Party) may be pretending we live in a 'post-pandemic era', but I and many others can't afford to do that for the time being, and judging from the ONS infection estimates I won't be able to for quite some time to come.  I do have a sneaking suspicion that not being there in person was a significant disadvantage, because there were one or two other candidates who I believe also weren't at conference and who didn't poll anything like as strongly as I expected them to.  And thirdly, there's no getting away from the fact that I've been troubled by one or two aspects of Alba's direction of travel over the last few months, and in speaking up about that I was bound to lessen my chances of re-election.  I said to a family member in July or August that I felt like I was practically campaigning to not be elected, because I was saying a lot of things that many Alba conference delegates (the true core of the party who get to elect the NEC) might not want to hear.  It wasn't that I didn't want to be re-elected - I very much did. But my first loyalty is to the cause of independence, and I just wouldn't have been able to look myself in the mirror if I'd kept my head down for personal advantage and not said the things that I knew needed to be said.  If you win election by saying things you don't believe, and then use your election to rubberstamp things you don't believe in, it's a completely futile exercise.

My departure from the NEC is a natural crossroads for me. I've thought quite a bit in recent weeks about what I would do in this scenario, without actually coming to any firm conclusions.  On the one hand I've enjoyed being part of Alba's internal structures and I'm half-tempted to maybe stand for one or two of the other committees, or to become more involved at LACU level.  But on the other hand this may be a very obvious opportunity for me to become a truly independent pro-independence blogger once again - because, with the best will in the world, I've had to self-censor to at least some extent as an NEC member.  Or I could try to have my cake and eat it by speaking more freely while also remaining active in Alba.  But an additional complication is that speaking freely as an independent blogger implies the continuation of this blog, and I'm not sure that's actually a sustainable option anymore.  

It probably hasn't gone unnoticed that until recently I was blitzing the blog with details of the ongoing fundraiser to see if I could make it work.  There have been a number of very generous donations in recent weeks, but it's been a trickle not a flood, and as of this moment I can't really see a way of carrying on as I have been for many years - ie. treating this blog as the equivalent of a very time-consuming part-time job.  One or two people have suggested moving to Patreon to give myself a more reliable income, but my strong suspicion is that it wouldn't work there either.  Scot Goes Pop actually still has extremely healthy readership numbers - as even Stuart Campbell himself has conceded, it remains one of the six most-read pro-indy blogs in Scotland, roughly on a par with Barrhead Boy, and at least vaguely in the same ballpark as the likes of Bella Caledonia and Wee Ginger Dug.  The problem is probably more to do with the cost of living crisis, with donations to blogs now being a luxury that people very understandably just can't afford.

And sadly, I have my own personalised cost of living crisis too.  One of my main sources of income (which had nothing to do with writing or politics) came to a complete stop in 2020 because of the Covid problem, while I've also almost certainly been punished for switching to Alba by a lack of external writing commissions over the last year or so - they haven't completely dried up, but they've been much, much thinner on the ground than in previous years, and that makes the blogging life even less viable.  The bottom line is that I now have a straight choice: to double down and go into absolute overdrive trying to make the blog financially sustainable, or to pack it in and find something completely different to do.  And, to be clear, I haven't forgotten that I've fundraised for another Scot Goes Pop opinion poll and raised a significant amount towards that - by hook or by crook I'll get it done eventually, and even if I stop blogging I'll come back especially for that, as soon as I figure out a way of bridging the shortfall of funds.  Please just be patient, because it may take a little while yet - and rest assured that anything I haven't used from the general fundraiser will also go towards the poll.

Whatever decisions I make, though, I do have one red line.  I'm not going to censor myself on one particularly important point, and if that turns out to be incompatible with an involvement in Alba's internal structures, then I'll be sad about that but I'll just have to live with it.  I really am becoming extremely concerned that in one specific way, Alba are in danger of drifting much too far from their original stated purpose.  Whatever my scepticism about the 'supermajority' concept, Alba were nevertheless presenting the electorate with an honest proposition in May 2021, because it's perfectly possible for a party with significant support on the Holyrood list ballot to gain seats without doing any harm to overall pro-independence representation in the Scottish Parliament. That was the contract Alba were offering to voters - they weren't trying to destroy or damage the SNP, they were instead trying to augment pro-indy representation and make it more pluricentric.  But implicit in such a contract is that you don't, for the most part, stand in first-past-the-post elections, because it's impossible to do that without harming the SNP and thus risking a reduction in pro-indy seats.  Even Stuart Campbell recognised that truth - when challenged, he was adamant that if his proposed Wings party came into being, it would be a list-only outfit and would never stand against the SNP under first-past-the-post.  (Whether he would have stuck to that is another matter, but the fact that he felt the need to give the assurance is telling.)

Whereas now, expectations that Alba will be challenging the SNP across the board at the next Westminster general election, even if that election is a plebiscite election, have been deliberately allowed to build sky-high.  I'm not breaking any confidentiality rules in saying what I'm about to say, because what I've heard in private has not cleared the mists for me any more than what I've heard in public.  I simply haven't been able to fathom what the objective is in allowing those expectations to run so far out of control - do Alba actually intend to stand lots of candidates at the general election?  If so, that's a suicide mission, both for the party and for the independence movement.  Or is it a bluff that is merely intended to win some leverage?  If so, that may not be quite so irresponsible, but it's still a strategic mistake in my view, because a) it's poisoning relationships with the rest of the independence movement who view it as a petulant threat to burn the house down as an act of revenge, and b) there's no leverage to be gained from it anyway, because we as Alba don't currently have enough to bring to the table. If we'd taken 6% of the vote in the Holyrood election or in the local elections this year, it would be a different story, but as it is the SNP are likely to calculate that they can afford to just try to bulldoze their way through if Alba stand in their way.  There's also the problem that many Alba members are likely to quickly become disillusioned if the threat of taking on the SNP at Westminster turns out to be a bluff - a danger that could have been very easily averted by being upfront and consistent that Alba intended to stick with its original contract with voters by only standing in elections conducted under proportional representation voting systems (with the possible exceptions of the two Alba-held seats at Westminster, which of course are in a special category).

I don't feel politically homeless, but a combination of my despair over the course charted by the SNP, and my misgivings over Alba's attitude to a potential plebiscite election held under first-past-the-post, mean that my home is a bit harder to locate at the moment.  If I was still in the SNP I'd be on the radical wing of the party to such an extent that I'd be practically hanging out of the windows.  Whereas in Alba I'm firmly on the moderate wing, and I do find that to be the more comfortable option because - as the recent conference has demonstrated - Alba allow far more scope for open debate and dissent than the SNP currently do.  However, almost every political party has a rule stating that members can't express support for candidates standing in direct opposition to the party in an election.  I really, fervently hope that Alba do not put members like me in an impossible position by launching a widescale intervention at the next general election, because as a blogger I cannot in good conscience advise pro-indy voters to take a course of action that I know perfectly well would make independence less likely.  

For now I'm going to take a break from blogging to try it on for size, and to give myself a chance to reflect.  (Sturgeonite word, I know, but in this case I mean it sincerely.)  I may be back very, very soon, or I may be gone for a prolonged period.  If the latter, though, I do have one last request to make of Scot Goes Pop readers.  If the Express don't correct the lie in their article about Panelbase putting No on 52% (it's actually 51%), could people please report them to the press regulator IPSO?  It's high time we took a proper and sustained stand against outright lies in the unionist media's coverage of Scottish independence polling.

64 comments:

  1. Hi James, I’ve read your blog post with sadness this morning. I’m sorry you weren’t re-elected to Alba’s NEC this year. You’re an honest person who is not afraid to express their views even if unpopular in some quarters. I’ve read and enjoyed your posts you for some years now and while not always agreeing 100% with what you say, I do value and appreciate your views as they have got me to look at some things somewhat differently. I’m not a member of any political party but have fervently believed in Scottish independence all my adult life so completely agree with your view that party politics must not be allowed to hinder this ultimate goal. As an oldie in my late 60s your blog post is the only one I read full stop so will seriously miss it if you do decide to move on to other things. Take care whatever you decide. Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck James. I’ve been reading your work from Belfast for many years, and I hope that it continues, in some form. Nothing wrong with recharging the batteries and gaining perspective on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be sad to see you go but take your time deciding what you want to do :) I’m sure you’ll be back when it’s crunch time and it looks like an actual vote is going ahead imminently. We’d need you for some sanity.

    However, do us all a favour and be the first to ask the important question with your final poll.

    How would you vote in a referendum ‘Should Scotland be an independent country’ and ‘How would you vote in a plebiscite election for independence’ with - SNP, Alba, Greens, Tory, Labour, Lib-dem, other Indy, other non-Indy, don’t know - as the options. Or something similar I’m sure you could figure out the best way to word it.

    But we must know if there is a significant difference between the two percentage-wise.

    You’re right in that we need as many pro Indy seats as possible and the SNP alone is best chance of achieving this. But we also (primarily) need to win a majority and nobody knows which strategy is best in this regard, you could be the first and only to find out.

    Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure I'd be breaking any new ground by asking the poll questions you suggest, because the Panelbase poll commissioned by Alba last week already did so. It was the first to include Alba as an option in Westminster voting intentions, and showed that the combined vote for pro-indy parties was 46% (made up of 42% for the SNP, 2% for Alba and 2% for the Greens). That compared with 49% for Yes on the main independence question. So I know this isn't what a lot of Alba members want to hear, but it really doesn't look like Alba would add anything in terms of the combined popular vote for pro-indy parties by intervening in a first-past-the-post election, while such an intervention would obviously risk handing seats to unionist parties. It's a lose-lose strategy and it simply shouldn't happen.

      Delete
    2. Hi James, I certainly hope you can continue the blog as it has been a ray of sunshine and a valuable source of information. For what it is worth I voted for you and am sorry you didn't get elected. I am sure if you had been able to attend then it would have been different. With regard to Alba standing for Westminster elections, if one or both sitting MP's wanted to stand then fine. Given the costs of standing for elections I doubt that it would be financially viable to stand candidates in every seat. Although it may increase the exposure of Alba to the electorate. I hope the original plan of standing on the list at Holyrood is adhered to as that would enable a supermajority and give Scotland a cast iron democratic mandate for independence.

      Delete
    3. Did the wording specify if the election was used as a defacto referendum?

      I guess it doesn't matter if the result is that much lower. Kinda surprising, but it shows that their must be more (probably Labour supporters) who are pro-indy compared with unionist SNP types.

      Maybe asking about keeping the royal family may be interesting in that case.

      Delete
  4. I am doubly disappointed that you weren't elected, because I tried to vote for you at the conference, but was defeated by technological difficulties. I don't suppose my one vote would have made a difference, but since I'm really annoyed about it, let me tell you what happened.
    At last year's conference, I couldn't vote because I didn't have a smartphone. So I got one, and have been very slowly acquiring some basic skills on it. (It's perhaps relevant that I'm 85.) At this year's conference, after getting through the minefield of passwords and codes, I succeeded (hurray!) in voting for the women. Then -- and this was where I went wrong -- I pressed Save, thinking I could now go on to the men. But I got some kind of can't-do-it message.
    So I sought help, and Denise Findlay kindly tried to solve the problem. Having some difficulty, she turned to another volunteer, who explained that (I think due to the Save) my voting was now finished. He brought me a list, on paper, of male candidates so I could write down my votes, and I hoped that he'd be able to somehow record them. But my email yesterday said that my voting was done.
    Anyway, you were due one more vote than you were told, and I hope you maintain your influence through whatever channel, because your ideas and fair-mindedness are badly needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for trying to vote for me! I remember last year that significantly more votes were cast on the female ballot than on the male ballot, possibly because people pressed 'save' before noticing there were two separate ballots. I didn't check to see if the same thing happened this year, but it may well have done. Hopefully a solution can be found for future years. I actually voted in the American mid-terms last night, and received a warning message to say "you have not used all of your available choices". Something as simple as that would do the trick.

      Delete
  5. Very much hope you decide to continue. As far as I'm aware, this is the only non-partisan pro-independence blog in existence, or at least the only one with a significant readership. It would be a big loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck James - I'll keep hitting refresh, for a while anyway, in the hope of seeing some more of your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this might actually be the real Random Totty this time, because she's been messaging me privately to say the same things. But we really need a fingerprint system or something. There are so many fake Random Tottys out there to fool the unwary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you recharge your batteries and come back as you used to be. You were my go to site for excellent analysis of polls and election results, as well as putting ideas into the public forum for sensible discussion. I, like I suspect a few others, got dispirited with your Alba blitz, and I would welcome you back, and start donating again if you returned to what you do best. We need a good mix of bloggers to keep our minds active in these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be true to my real views - part of that means offering constructive criticism of Alba's strategy now, but the other side of the coin is saying that Alba were the best bet in the 2021 and 2022 elections, and will be again in the 2026 election if independence hasn't been achieved by then. If I pretend to hold different views just to maximise the amount of donations to the blog, what use would I actually be as a blogger? The whole thing would be a con and I'd be nothing more than a clickbait merchant.

      Delete
  9. Yes it's me! And I'll be bloody cross with you if you stop writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally understand your position, James. It's been a long, long road for supporters of indy and bloggers alike. Perhaps though, while you reflect, you could take into account that now, finally, for the first time, there is a distinct chink of light at the end of the tunnel. It may be that the referendum doesn't happen. It may be that the defacto referendum doesn't happen. But my money is on it coming, and the time to give up is if it doesn't. And for what it's worth, the more people who doubt it, the more likely it is not to happen, as it gives an out to the SNP that we should not be giving. So, I guess what I'm saying is.....there are not many indy bloggers left. We will have a HUGE battle with mainstream propaganda a-coming, and we need all the sane, rational, positive writers like you we can get, to keep the rest of us united in fighting for the cause. I urge you to think on this, and if I am wrong, and it doesn’t happen, then perhaps then would be the time to re-evaluate.

    Just my thoughts for what they’re worth….

    ReplyDelete
  11. "A truly independent pro-independence blogger once again," sounds the best option. You had more influence and respect, without compromise, than you think in that position. Personally, I try to avoid re-tweeting or linking to political party content so more good independent voices would do no harm to the cause of independence. I hope you can sort out the funding. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you return to blogging soon, as you're the only remaining pro-indy blog that I still read. Whatever you decide, stay true to yourself and enjoy life. I have to say, I'll miss trying to track your location down from random photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. James says: " ......I'd be practically hanging out the windows."

    I think Sturgeon would have got one of her gang to have thrown you out a window. Free speech not allowed in Sturgeon's nu SNP. All must bow down to the great leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posts such as the one above illustrate why the SNP will NEVER share a platform with Alba.Quite right too.

      Delete
    2. You'd be struggling to credibly claim that free speech is in a healthy state in the SNP. But then as a no-platformer you may not actually care about free speech.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous - SNP are truly a nasty devolutionalist party. If that rocks your boat then good for you but that makes you a supporter of a party that is worse than the Labour Party. Nu SNP are just Scottish Labour with more layers of tartan. I've read many posts/tweets from SNP supporters about Salmond and Alba and they make mine look very mild and reasonable. How many times have you complained about them anonymous? I'm not a member of Alba so they have no responsibility for what I post anyway but that doesn't bother you does it. Any excuse to have a go at Alba.

      Talking about nasty posts is that you DrJim.

      Delete
  14. Long term lurker, first time commenter. Only joined twitter to keep track of your blog. Have appreciated your work as the calm in many storms and enjoy your balance. Sad loss if you can’t continue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi James, I think you have hit the nail on the head, on the issue which will define the future of ALBA. I am at the opposite end of the ALBA scale from you. If ALBA do not stand in FPTP elections in opposition to the SNP, Then I'm not interested. I will stop funding ALBA. I have good news for you though, as I have heard very senior members of ALBA insist that ALBA is a Holyrood list party *ONLY*. I await the decision at the next UK General Election. I wonder, if this strategy decision can be voted on by the membership in a democratic way. I have a dream, it is a replication of the 1918 UK GE in Ireland , where the dominant and inactive Irish Parliamentary Party were replaced overnight by the new hyperactive Sinn Fein Party, which went on to win Independence 4 years later. IPP = SNP, Sinn Fein = ALBA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short of a world war or a revolution, I'm puzzled as to where you think Sinn Fein levels of support are going to suddenly come from. And without that level of support, standing in a first-past-the-post election can only harm the independence cause.

      Delete
    2. I wonder why some (or most?) ALBA members would leave the SNP (the most successful party in Europe) to promote a Holyrood list pop-up party? If that was the intention, I don't think I would have bothered. A list pop up party does not need much funding or many policies, and we already had one, Independence for Scotland Party. Why would we need another? ISP electoral performance in local government elections is similar to ALBA. Alex Salmond is the obvious difference, the best political strategist in Scotland. However without electoral success , ALBA influence is limited and ALBA can only progress by campaigning in elections. If ALBA don't stand in elections, it has a limited future.

      Delete
    3. This notion of "political parties stand in elections, that's what they do, therefore we must stand in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION" really is a particularly tedious logical fallacy. No political party stands in every single election. Even the largest of parties sit certain contests out. And I can give you plenty of examples of parties and candidates that have *regressed* because of an unwise decision to stand in the wrong election at the wrong time. Step forward Ralph Nader, for example: he's quite an apt comparison, actually.

      Delete
  16. Well said RT.

    James, I would add take as long a break as you need but as RT said - "don't you dare give up".

    ReplyDelete
  17. James the NEC vote was a shambles. A shambles. Katherine wasn't the only person who couldn't vote as intended. It happened to lots of people. Whether it affected the result is impossible to know but in the interests of democracy this shambles cannot stand. We should start again from scratch. Complaints have been made to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your expert analysis of polls concerning Scotland and its politics is more necessary than ever. Please try to continue with them. You are much needed. But whatever you choose to do in the future I wish you well. Eternal credit to you for all your previous work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keep well and I hope all goes well whatever you do..

    ReplyDelete
  20. James,

    As some one who rarely comments but when I do I have been critical of Alba and particularly Alex Salmond. His program on RT was a massive PR error and like much of his overall motive was and is ego driven.

    However even when I have disagreed with you I have never doubted your sincerity and honestly held views. Your work on polling analysis has been of huge benefit to the whole independence movement and it would a sad loss to all parts of the movement.

    I hope you choose to continue with the blog and I can assure I will as have in the past make what ever financial contribution I can.

    Good luck with what ever route you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosewell, I do not have a problem with your criticism of Salmond. You are entitled to hold those views. What I do have a problem with is those morons ( a lot on WGD) who keep making comments as if Salmond was found guilty of a crime and are either too lazy, too stupid or too in thrall of Sturgeon to have taken on board the clear mountain of evidence that there was a plot to take out Salmond. It is beyond me how anyone would trust Sturgeon and her gang to deliver independence.

      Delete
  21. Shame there is not enough financial support for non-tribal pro-indy common sense. Some days it feels you are the independence movement's only sane blogger, writing about what is actually achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We have had our disagreements in the past. But I have always thought you an honourable man. I still do.

    Politics is wearying. Exhausting even.

    I, for one, would be sad to see you leave the fray.

    I came here for the statistics, I stayed for the analysis.

    I would agree with Craig P above.

    Whatever you need to do for your own health and wellbeing has my support.

    Just a shame that we might be losing your analysis and honesty.

    If you care to run another 'funding' campaign I will put in what I can, and phew(!) it won't be enough to change your decision.

    Best wishes, whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tories prattling on about the danger of Putin hitting a nuclear power station in Ukraine with a missile and at the same time wanting to build nuclear power stations in Scotland. These dangerous idiots care nothing about the people of Scotland. Try asking Dross if he'll have a nuclear power station in his back garden in Moray.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm very sorry that I won't be continuing to read your work which has always been relevant and to the point. You're probably too independent to fit into the restrictions that Party membership involved.
    On the plus point, we haven't heard the last of you. Rolls on the referendum.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't be gone long, James.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy to chip in, the BTL comments alone would make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry to hear of your difficulties James. Hope you can come through it in good shape.
    Our leaders have given our magnificent movement the run around so successfully that sufficent people now 'bite their own tails' to cause widening confusion and demoralisation.
    I eventually chucked it in with the SNP and was feeling my way towards Alba until this story of standing against the SNP in FPtP elections gained volume.
    Unaligned Yesser seems the only way at present.
    I guess this situation always lurked in the shadows around the movement for Scotland's independence - a revolutionary aspiration and a movement that refuses to step outside of parliamentary politics was always in danger of implosion as the crisis deepened.
    We must all do what we can because, unfortunately, now looks like our best time !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry to hear you might not be blogging any more. You've been one of the sanest voices left in the Scottish blogosphere the last few years and do a great job of cutting through the spin normally surrounding polling. What a shame the fundraising drive hasn't been as successful as it could be... but given that its totally understandable you need to find a better source of income. Look after yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  29. James, I'm so sorry that you won't be continuing. I've read your blog very regularly since the 2014 referendum campaign and have found it an invaluable source of information and analysis on all the polls published.

    As a committed unionist who lives in England and has voted for the Conservatives in the past (now more Lib Dem) and who passionately opposes Scottish Nationalism, I may not be the natural reader for the blog or your natural political soulmate! However, I've found all your posts invariably helpful and informative.

    I also think that in the main you are deeply respectful towards political opponents and have an unfailing desire to report and analyse the truth, and for that I am deeply grateful.

    You have been my 'go to' for the past eight years for Scottish Nationalism sentiment and polling analysis and I will really miss you now you are stopping.

    The fact that this is the very first time I have ever commented on your blog (and indeed one of the first times I have ever commented ever on anything), speaks volumes of how highly I have regarded you, even though we come from completely different political tribes.

    All the best in the future, and I hope to see you on the blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Two of your arch critics on WGD, thicko and nasty, had this to say about your article:

    Hamish lives up to his thicko reputation by saying " Can't say I agree with James Kelly on many things but debate is healthy and to lose possibly a pro independence supporter is a shame."
    DEBATE in the SNP or btl on WGD 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂Hamish you are a 🤡. If anyone even mildly disagrees with the groupthink they are pounced on and sent in to the wilderness to be ignored for all eternity.

    Nasty Dr Jim says: " When you fill your blog with extremists then people take an extremely bad view of it."
    Jimbo takes the view that if you are not a party drone and follow the groupthink then you are an extremist. Nasty nasty man is Dr Jim - just a reminder that this is the person who thought it was just fine for a Tory MP to grab a female climate change protestor by the neck and roughly 'escort' her out of a room because he had done the same himself previously to other annoying women. Now that seems pretty extreme to me Jimbo. Is this something his great leader would approve of?

    Personally, I think I have been very kind in my critical comments on the WGD numpties. Nothing too extreme😀. They are good for a laugh after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments certainly are good for a laugh.

      Delete
    2. A couple of hours later on the same thread Hamish100 provides a perfect example of the WGD groupthink idea of debate. The poster Perthcol posts a mild criticism of the recent SNP economic paper. Hamish says: " Popped up to discredit. Still I suppose unionists need to do something these days. "

      Debate on WGD 😀😂😂😂😂😂😂

      Delete
    3. Anonymous thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  31. James - Take a break, refresh yourself, but please come back. Don't go away for good.

    Your USP is your expertise in analysing the polls. That expertise would be missed across the board on the independence side of the debate. But, what I appreciate more than that are your opinions. I find myself appreciating your commentary more than any other blogger. Don't agree with everything you publish - but with a large percentage of it.

    You clearly have caring responsibilities - and need bits of income. Happy to give you more support - give the readership some clues as to the gap.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hope you won't stay away too long James. Even when I've disagreed with you, I still see you as one of the must-read Scottish Politics blogs and always come back here for a read. Maybe just take a break from things for a while and come back when energy returns. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is more distressing news for the movement.
    Have a break, recharge and then please come back.

    ReplyDelete
  34. From Wales: If you stop, you will be hugely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  35. ding a ling a bing bong, HASTE YE BACK

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wasn't able to vote for you as I was visiting family in Norway for the first time in three years - and as I looked around Stavanger I kept thinking that this could be the level of Scottish society if Callaghan, Thatcher et al had not stolen our future.
    Thanks for all the work you have put in over the years. It was invaluable for a lot of us. No histrionics, just good solid information and a good effort at being civil to all.
    Personally, I hope you come back. If not, thanks for all your good sense and straightforward communications.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Always appreciate your excellent analysis James. Don't let something like this grind you down. Haste-ye-back mate.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Blackford made a right arse of himself today at PMQs by not listening to Truss's answer to his first question on uprating state pensions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're about the seventh person I've heard say that. I'm going to be too embarrassed to watch it now.

      Delete
  39. James says: "If the express don't correct their lies...." didn't the SNP once say they were setting up a rebuttal unit to be run by a senior SNP person Keith Brown. I can't say I am aware of any rebuttals happening. Is it in operation presently? Did it even start? Any SNP stalwarts know? Or is it another good idea not followed through. Murrell too busy lying in Parliament and sending out dodgy messages to staff to get Salmond.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi James. Will be very sorry if you disappear; ( a year to the day before the feverishly awaited referendum…) happy to chip in to help you think about a monthly summary or similar, if that helps. Thanks for everything so far though.
    Donald

    ReplyDelete
  41. You know, you could have just said that you sent a draft of a blog post to Scotland in Union for the purpose of engagement in the independence debate and that, therefore, you must step down as the independence movement's resident polling expert.

    I am sure everyone would have believed that.

    ReplyDelete
  42. James you will be pleased to hear that the Bathtub Admiral ( the lover of warships and assorted weapons of mass destruction and Royalty ) has the answer to your problems. Just be a Kavanagh MK2 - a person of very minimal integrity.
    Yesindyref2 has the nerve to tell you what to post. The arrogance is off the charts from these WGD numpties. Don't mention Alba or GRA and don't do polls on subjects the Admiral doesn't like and people will donate. In other words be fake like the big dug and tell the numpties what they want to hear. You are better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  43. When I posted previously that the UK was a shithouse of a country run by shitty politicians I now happily admit that I got that wrong. I was far too kind to them.

    ReplyDelete
  44. HELLO and please stay.

    ReplyDelete
  45. The Labour rep on Debate night and a member of the audience make a great case (not) for staying in the union with the UK. The UK is on its knees right now they say. That's right the UK is a total basket case but Scotland should stay and continue to be governed (ripped off) by Westminster. A wee bit different from the 2014 Better Together arguments. What it proves is these people do not care about the well being of Scots. It's all about calling themselves British and having that bluesy black passport.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I’m sorry about your current circumstances and hope you can find a way to continue. I’ve personally struggled with the polarisation of the indy movement and took a break from the blogs for my own mental health’s sake. Im still interested in your polling and will be happy to bung some cash in for it after payday. I’d be fascinated to know how many folk have crossed the border in a car or by foot in the past year or 3 and whether they chanced taking Scots currency or saved themselves hassle and converted . The ‘hard border’ seems to be the new bogeyman. Whatever you do, stay well.

    ReplyDelete