Saturday, November 27, 2010

'When you make a bet, you're saying something'

(Quote by Al Alvarez)

Just a quick note to say that I have a guest post at Political Betting today, on the subject of how likely Scottish independence is within 10-15 years. Incidentally, although the inspiration for the piece was the absurdly long odds on independence by 2012 that I saw quoted by the bookies a couple of years ago, I couldn’t actually recall what the precise odds were, and was unable to track them down. I’ve since done some more digging and discovered they were in fact an astounding 150/1 with William Hill in May 2008. And this, remember, was during the period that the Scottish Labour Party were saying “bring it on” to an independence referendum!

3 comments:

  1. Rt Hon Cllr Ezio Auditore da Firenze MP MSP, Cabinet Secretary for X FactorNovember 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM

    That thread sums up all that is wrong with PB.

    It's almost willfully small minded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you James putting that thread up on PB (husband now calls it Political Bitching :)) I have to say I am not that surprised by the comments from the regulars although some non-Scots non-regulars did really seem interested in what you said. Keep up with the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marcia. Yes, I think I got a reasonably fair hearing in the circumstances (although that's obviously a relative statement!).

    Congratulations on another well-deserved promotion, Ezio!

    ReplyDelete