Monday, October 24, 2022

Readers' Survey results: a slim majority of Scot Goes Pop readers are SNP supporters

Well, me and my bright ideas.  I thought the embedded survey on the previous post (now deleted) was completely free, but it turns out that it's only free until you hit 100 responses, at which point you're told you have to upgrade if you want to see the results.  Hmmm, sod that.  Luckily, though, I did have the presence of mind to take a screenshot of the results after 89 people had voted, and here's what they showed...

Which party do Scot Goes Pop readers support?

SNP 50.6%
Alba 40.5%
Greens 6.7%
Other 2.3%

So, as I suspected, the Scot Goes Pop readership is very mixed, and probably more so than is the case for most comparable pro-independence blogs.  The fact that I'm not writing for a single-party audience was almost certainly a disadvantage during my unsuccessful bid to be re-elected to the Alba NEC a week ago, but in every other sense it's a good thing - the more places in which independence supporters of different party allegiances are together under the same roof, the better.

The only major surprise is that no-one admitted to being a supporter of a unionist party.  I always had the impression that there were a reasonable number of unionist lurkers here, but maybe they'd have showed up if more than 100 people had been able to vote!

*  *  *

If you'd like to help Scot Goes Pop continue in some form, donations are welcome HERE.

8 comments:

  1. I resigned from the SNP a few years ago now, and I would vote for Alba or SNP depending on the situation (i.e. who is standing in my ward/constituency, what election we are talking about etc. etc.). I'm a bit like Peter Bell (and to an extent you), in the scunnered middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter A Bell isn't in the middle, though - he's much more radical than Alba and yet expects the SNP to deliver what he wants any day now. I've given up even trying to understand.

      Delete
  2. This is a surprisingly difficult question. I vote SNP/Green at most elections, and was really passionately Green after indyref. Though in recent years I haven't been particularly impressed with either party.

    I guess I think of myself as an independence voter mainly, without any hard party affiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm strong independence voter that will switch parties depending on election circumstances. I'm also a homosexual male, so whatever party is best placed to suit my needs will likely get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since starting to vote in the 1970s I have only once not voted SNP and that was in a local election where no SNP candidate was standing. I voted Liberal as I couldn't bear the thought of voting for either of the big London parties.
    I will still vote SNP but would definitely vote Alba or Green if the local conditions meant that either was more likely than the SNP to win.
    I haven't found any great animosity between ordinary voters of those three independence parties except for a few shouters who bear all the hallmarks of false flag waters.
    Achieving independence is the objective, whichever is the most effective route.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I support whatever party I think supports Scottish independence. That used to be the SNP but is now Alba. I have absolutely no party tribal loyalty. If Alba follow the same path the SNP have taken I will not vote for them in the future. My loyalty is 100% to Scottish independence. Sturgeon's loyalty is to herself and remaining in power.

    After years of rejecting using an election as a plebiscite Sturgeon decides to say she will use a UK GE which not only has the franchise which is the worst for a yes vote but discriminates against EU citizens. Some say it would be a racist franchise that excludes EU citizens in a vote for Scottish independence. It is certainly strange for a party that has at its heart a firm policy of rejoining the EU to discriminate against some of its citizens.

    Sturgeon could have used the May 21 Scottish Parliament election which includes EU citizens and 16/17 year olds as a de facto election and have the same franchise as indyref1 but she didn't she chose Both Votes SNP to maximise the number of Britnat MSPs in Holyrood. Some people say you can't exoect a political party to do other than maximise their vote. The thing is the SNP was not supposed to be just another political party it was supposed to be the party of Scottish independence. We could have had a vote for actual independence in May 2021. Where are we now - after years of begging PMs for a sec 30 we now await a Britnat court telling the people of Scotland if they have a right to self determination.
    I refuse to believe Sturgeon is this useless as an independence leader she is not that stupid. She doesn't want independence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People who claim to support independence that don't vote alba are either liars or thick as sh*t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm purer than pure too. I shall enter heaven unsullied.

      Delete