Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's still mathematically possible for Scotland to qualify, no. 2837

I've been happily immersed in the European Curling Championships all week, although a few hours ago I stupidly took the Eurosport commentator's word for it that the Scottish men's team's loss to France meant that they were out of contention for the play-offs. Having looked at the standings, it instead appears we're into another of those ever-rewarding "it's still mathematically possible for Scotland to qualify" scenarios. If they beat Sweden tomorrow, and if Denmark lose to Switzerland, they'll be into a three-way tiebreak for the fourth and final play-off place. I'm not holding my breath.

On the plus side, the women's team skipped by Eve Muirhead is going great guns, having finished top of the round-robin. If by any chance they go on to win the competition, it won't be before time - Scotland haven't won gold in the women's event since the very first European Championships in 1975. As usual, there's unrivalled coverage over at Bob Cowan's blog.

5 comments:

  1. I suppose that your error is a bit like listening to the wrong weather forecast....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too right, Tris. Did you see David Mitchell's article entitled "If only weathermen were honest and said forecasts were just a bit of fun"?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezio Auditore da Firenze, PPS to Lord Snooty of Inheritanceshire, Secretary of State for Life RuiningDecember 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

    James my auld chum, wildly off topic, as most of my comments tend to be, but I thought I had to draw your attention to this little beauty of a comment by Morris Dancer on PB, referring to the possibility of the Lords sending the tuition fees bill back to the Commons (you may well have commented on it on the thread itself, but I can't be doing with reading any more of the right wing nonsense)

    "The Lords cannot oppose manifesto commitments, and in a coalition the Coalition Agreement is the equivalent document."

    It's a belter, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb. The trouble with creatively redefining the Salisbury Convention is that it only works if everyone else accepts the redefinition. In any case, I don't remember the Tories being that bothered by conventions when they tried to use the Lords to block the manifesto commitment for PR for European Parliament elections in 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha James. I hadn't, but now I have... Hilarious, thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete