Saturday, October 12, 2024

While I take a few days off to prepare properly for my Alba "disciplinary" hearing, it may be a good time to give the 2024 Scot Goes Pop fundraiser one last big push

I may not be blogging much over the next few days, because I've still got to compile my written submission for my Alba disciplinary hearing, and the deadline is fast approaching.  I still find it hard to keep a straight face when I write the words "disciplinary hearing" given that what I'm accused of is so unbelievably vague and ultimately amounts to "making criticisms of how the Alba Party is currently run, in a way that the leadership finds irritating", which in any sort of genuinely democratic party would actually be something to be proud of, not to be "disciplined" for.  Nevertheless, in spite of the inherent absurdity of the situation, I do intend to take both the disciplinary and likely appeals process extremely seriously, and thus to devote the necessary time to it.  I most certainly don't criticise any of the people who 'jumped before they were pushed', because I now know as well as anyone the stress and potential mental health impact caused by a vexatious and/or malicious disciplinary process.  However, the fact that people have 'voluntarily' left, at least nominally, has given their detractors the excuse to dismiss them as "a wee gang of malcontents" who were always hostile to the party (which could not be further from the truth, incidentally - many of the people who have left were, until they started to be bullied or victimised, extremely committed to the party and personally loyal to Alex Salmond).  

If the leadership have already decided to get rid of me, as Yvonne Ridley claimed a few weeks ago, I want it to be abundantly clear to everyone that I am not voluntarily leaving, that my departure is 100% due to an expulsion that will be incredibly difficult to justify, and that if the expulsion hadn't occurred I would have stayed in Alba indefinitely.  Indeed if Chris McEleny hadn't arbitrarily suspended my party membership pending the hearing, I would currently be running as a candidate in the Alba internal elections, both for Membership Support Convener and for an ordinary NEC slot.  So for those reasons I do need to 'go through the disciplinary process properly', even if I strongly suspect the outcome is already set in stone.

Given that there'll be a natural pause in blogging while I write my disciplinary submission and prepare my verbal presentation for the hearing itself, this may be a good moment to give the Scot Goes Pop annual fundraiser for 2024 a last big push.  There are only two-and-a-half months left in the year, and it won't be all that long before I'll have to start thinking about a 2025 fundraiser.  But as things stand, the running total on the 2024 GoFundMe page is only around halfway towards its target figure.  In reality the situation is a bit better than that, because there have also been direct donations via Paypal, but it's fair to say that I'm still a long way short of where I need to be to secure the blog's future.  I've been continually lurching from mini-crisis to mini-crisis for about three years now, and although I've always been able to just about keep things afloat with these repeated appeals, I can't guarantee that will always be the case.  To use the well-worn cliché, if everyone reading this blogpost today chipped in a couple of pounds, the problem would be solved within 24 hours and I wouldn't even need to mention fundraising for a few months.  But of course in the real world it doesn't work that way.  

Many thanks to everyone who has already donated this year, and if you have done please just ignore this post.  But if you haven't donated yet, and if you find Scot Goes Pop useful and would like to help it continue, here are the various options - 

Card payments can be made via the GoFundMe crowdfunding page HERE.

Direct Paypal payments can be made to my Paypal email address:  jkellysta@yahoo.co.uk

I know a small number of people prefer direct bank transfer - for the necessary details, please email me.  My contact email address is different from my Paypal address and can be found on my Twitter profile or in the sidebar of this blog (desktop version of the site only).

7 comments:

  1. Good luck but maybe the real issue was to stop you standing as a candidate. Sadly AS has gone so far down in my estimation over the past few years. His silence says much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting news from Scotland based pollster Pollandbangwe today. Going forward they are going to adopt the 'Skier' method when presenting results on the indy question.
    All don't knows will be included as 'Yes' as they are deemed to have turned their back on the Union. Political analysts believe this could be the push that is needed to get Yes consistently polling over 60%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your disciplinary might be postponed, James, with the awful news about Alex Salmond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in complete shock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granted this _is_ Administrivia, but it might be helpful to those attempting to select between the alternative donation methods to know if the GoFundMe 'Card payments' method will keep a slice of the donated money?
    I presume so, how much of it?
    Similarly, would it be wrong to assume that a Paypal or direct bank transer will mean that you receive ALL of the donation?

    Best of Luck with the upcoming Persecution.
    We need more Democrats, and less Aparachniks!
    ;-)
    More analysis and less herd mentality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No disrespect to anyone intended but to an outsider it does look as if Alba makes up the rules as it goes along. There was the issue regarding the rerun internal election last year, the Craig Murray belonging to two political parties at the same time carry on and now Chris McEleny deciding that you should be suspended and investigated.

    ReplyDelete