Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Important message for email subscribers to Scot Goes Pop

I've been meaning to mention this for a while - the email subscription option that is automatically built into blogs on the Blogger platform is being discontinued in July.  In all honesty, I didn't think that was going to make all that much difference to Scot Goes Pop, because I assumed there were only a small number of email subscribers.  In general the only reason I remember there are any at all is that every few months, I get an irate email saying "YOU'RE A DISGRACE, KELLY, PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM YOUR MAILING LIST", and I say "why not just unsubscribe?", and they say "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?", and I say "there's a link at the bottom of each email" and they say "OH RIGHT DIDN'T NOTICE".

Anyway, I've just checked, and to my astonishment it turns out there are currently 1,422 email subscribers to Scot Goes Pop.  So it looks like this could be much more of an inconvenience to people than I initially realised.  In theory I have the option of exporting the entire mailing list to another service, and I received a marketing email this morning urging me to do that - although whether the firm being advertised is really the best option, I've no idea.  I think what would happen is that everyone on the list would be sent a confirmation email asking whether they wish to continue with the new service or not.

If anyone has any strong feelings about the best way forward, let me know - I'll have to make a decision within the next couple of weeks.

*  *  *

Have you signed our parliamentary petition calling for devolution of powers over broadcasting to the Scottish Parliament? If you haven't yet, you can do so HERE.

6 comments:

  1. James, you are the biz - there are orbiting fkwits on every net site in the world (they are the 'disgrace'). I am one of the online movers and shakers and honestly, during the referendum, your work here saved my sanity sometimes - you are one of the few I take seriously (even if it took you a little time to leave the 'bvsnp' thingy. To paraphrase Abe Lincoln, you can please some of the people but the the rest are genital rythm masters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I get your blog via RSS and a Reader app. Will this continue? If so, maybe try to get your email subscribers over to RSS; if not, I'll just check in every day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here I use Feedly to subscribe to blogs

      Delete
  3. I use feedly too, but I think the RSS feed can go into some email clients now too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is just comedy gold.

    https://www.thenational.scot/news/19375504.michael-gove-plans-scrap-evel-bid-stop-scottish-indepdence/

    Michael Gove plans to scrap Evel in bid to stop Scottish indepdence

    Utterly desperate stuff. I can't see the English being happy with this. It's closing down their English parliament. Scots will be able to vote on their laws and stuff.

    Also, a wee polling goldmine on the way? Although will probably tell us just what we already know from public polling.

    https://www.thenational.scot/news/19374925.order-release-secret-union-polls-major-blow-boris-johnsons-tories/

    Order to release secret Union polls 'major blow' for Boris Johnson's Tories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was going to post about this earlier. I've sent a FOI request to Scot Gov to provide their polling for the same period - be interesting to compare with the UK Gov ones.

      Delete