Friday, May 7, 2021

The future of the Alba Party

Now, to be clear, there can be no guarantee that any new political party will survive the type of setback that Alba has just suffered.  There are various potential scenarios in which Alba might fold over the coming months.  However, at this moment there does seem to be a genuine determination to continue, and that's perfectly realistic - there aren't many small parties that can boast two MPs and a good number of local councillors.  There would be two main purposes of persevering: a) to provide a much-needed political home for independence supporters who are clearly unwelcome in the new SNP for mostly irrational reasons, and b) to pressurise the SNP into keeping their word and holding an independence referendum in the next parliamentary term.  The latter is obviously the more important reason.

One way in which Alba could have helped bring a referendum about if they had succeeded in this election was by providing an alternative for SNP MSPs who finally lose patience with the feet-dragging of the SNP leadership.  The knowledge that MSPs could defect to the Alba group at any time would have kept the First Minister on her toes and given her an incentive to avoid any further undue delays.  It's obviously harder to achieve that effect without a ready-made Alba group in Holyrood, but it can still be done as long as Alba continues to exist.  SNP MSPs would have the option of setting up a new Alba group in the Scottish Parliament whenever they want, and they'd be stepping into an existing party infrastructure.

So I firmly believe that Alba should press on, with one very important caveat: it would be a terrible mistake to put up candidates at the 2024 UK general election, unless there's an electoral pact with the SNP.  I presume that wouldn't be done anyway, but it's worth just putting that on the record.  Whether we like it or not, UK general elections do still matter, and splitting the pro-independence vote in first-past-the-post contests would be catastrophic.

Incidentally, although there'll obviously be a fair amount of nasty triumphalism tomorrow among Alba-haters, one of their constant refrains appears set to be proved wrong.  They kept insisting that by drawing attention to the tactical possibilities on the list, Alex Salmond had unwittingly boosted the Green vote instead.  But it appears that the Greens themselves are slightly underperforming their opinion poll showing - and, frankly, that's bad news for all of us, although the pro-independence majority does look more or less secure now.  

Patience, Stuart, I fully intend to do what I said I'd do. But for now I've got an election to concentrate on, even if your own mind appears to be elsewhere.

15 comments:

  1. I feel that the Alba party may well become the party of the future for the Yes campaign and it will continue to grow. Sadly though having seen Alex Salmond interviewed on BBC and being asked to apologise yet again for behaviour for which actually happened and which he apologised ten years ago I believe he should retire from seeking political office. He can still be a driving force for independence. Scotland aye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "So I firmly believe that Alba should press on, with one very important caveat: it would be a terrible mistake to put up candidates at the 2024 UK general election, unless there's an electoral pact with the SNP. "

    I totally disagree with this. The past few years have demonstrated that Westminster SNP MPs are completely useless. We had a feeble 50 Labour MPs, now we have a mostly pointless grouping who do nothing. After the way the SNP have behaved in this election, I have zero intention of voting for them in the next WM election. I won't vote for unionists either, so will likely simply not vote. And I won't mind because I honestly no longer care. WM feels foreign to me, the UK feels like a foreign country, and the only MP who has achieved anything of note is Joanna Cherry, who the SNP despite and want rid of. There is absolutely no downside to Alba standing that I can see, other than running the risk of the same thing as with this election - that they're just ignored and smeared. They could stand on a platform of not bothering to take up seats or some other mischief making idea that might do more than the SNP lot do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Scottish representation will ever achieve anything at Westminster. Scots MPs are totally irrelevant when 490 other MPs are around to outvote them on any issue, however; a large block of SNP or other independence supporting MPS create a powerful visible reminder to the government, and media, that the Scottish people exists and this challenges the structural values and culture of Britishness/Englishness, even when we think it achieves little it still signals to the dominant elite in the UK that their cosy duopoly is under threat. It also sends signals to the rest of the world. I live in New Zealand and because of the SNP being likely to win this election our news this evening informed New Zealand that a new independence referendum is likely. Not voting or voting a unionist party signals Scots don't care about their sovereignty and are happy with the status quo. If independence is you priority vote SNP at Westminster and help define the narrative as Scots want independence, and not Scots want to be in the Union.

      Delete
  3. If Alba continue (I hope they do) the threat of Alba standing in the general election is just about the strongest leverage they have in keeping the SNP on their toes. We've seen how Farage used this to influence the Tories on Brexit policy, Alba needs to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best place for a 'protest against the union' party is in union elections. UKIP are a classic example.

      Delete
  4. Voted for Alba and sincerely believe the 2% could/would have been higher with fairer coverage.

    Glad Alex gave some people pride back and it's a shame some of the hangers on didn't have the discipline to keep a positive message. James, you fought a valiant effort on that front trying to keep focus and positive. Many of the candidates were top drawer. Alas many of the unoffical online presence were totally off putting when it needn't have been.

    The media were never going to give a fair crack.

    Alex is a class act. He created the chance we had. I hae ma doots we'll see another one anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to always back the wrong horse.
    But Alba was the first time I felt strongly enough to join a political party.
    I was going to join the SNP 18 months ago in honour of a friend who was a member but died too young. But then the hate crime bill came along and I felt it was so poorly written that the SNP wasn't focusing properly.
    The way Alex Salmond was treated was also nagging at me the whole thing felt off.
    I think the Broadcast Media and SNP treated Alba terribly. The both votes SNP along with the just pathetic tactics and strategies over brexit had me banging my head against the wall.
    Ironically I paid a full years membership for Alba, volunteered and put leaflets through doors.
    I hope they don't disappear. I want Alba to continue in Holyrood Elections and Council to give a wider hope to the unallied YES movement.

    Sadly I do think as long as Salmond is involved there will be zero fair coverage. So perhaps it's best he steps down and passes over the torch, hopefully this time to someone who as a lot more grit to get Independence done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although an SNP supporter, I hope the Alba Party will continue and increase in strength. It's not sensible to put all our eggs in the one basket, but for Alba to stand in a first past the post UK election would be a disaster and I'm sure they would acknowledge that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what the hell actually happened in Shetland?

    ReplyDelete
  8. James, sorry I missed something, has some of the votes on the list been declared?
    I don’t know what the result is tomorrow, Alex may know a little more, however if it’s much more then that is very suspect. I voted for him directly (being in Inverurie) and I know a couple of others in our relatively short street.
    I’ll say I voted for Alba purely on the currency question. If the SNP had followed their members resolution and ditch the Smith Cowpat then I’d have voted for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BallotBox Scotland on twitter has posted about 30 list results from constituencies that have declared - I think the best figure I saw for Alba was 3.4% in Banff and Buchan. They were more often around 1%, so it seems improbable that they would win a seat.

      Delete
    2. Yes, some lists will be known or nearly so. However, the seats can't be announced until the results of the constituencies are in as it is PR allocation, so depends on what you've already won. What you can know though, is that parties below 5% in a region won't get a seat as they have not made the threshold.

      Delete
    3. My observation from the count in North Lan yesterday - for every 20 or so Scottish Green Party votes I noted there were around 5 votes for Independent Green Voice.
      IGV is a vote skimming party run by Mr Manky Jaicket himself, Alistair McConnachie.
      It will cost the Greens seats.

      Delete
  9. I hope the Alba Party will keep going. I wont be voting SNP again. Possibly 1 million plus wasted List votes guarantee I will never vote for those selfish Wokist bastards again, well that and the fact they will never deliver an Indy Ref.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are the chances of an SNP majority now? The consensus seems to be that it's highly unlikely, but I'm wondering why that is.

    So far, the SNP have gained two seats in SoS and one in Lothian. If no more constituencies change hands, the SNP will get zero regional seats in Lothian (same as last time), probably two in SoS (one down on last time), and one in H&I, for a net gain of one seat each in Lothian and SoS. Added to the 63 from 2016, that takes them to 65.

    Have I got my sums wrong? Or is there an assumption that the SNP's regional vote will fall sufficiently to lose a seat in SoS or H&I?

    ReplyDelete