Thursday, March 25, 2021

Back The Backstabbers

I'm not entirely sure whether Stuart Campbell is morphing into David Koresh or Erich Ludendorff.  Yesterday, he was using doomsday cult language about how we must all "pray for fire" to come and cleanse the world - which I take to mean that he wants the SNP to lose the election so he can have his revenge against Nicola Sturgeon, even if that means there is a unionist majority for the next five years, thus killing any hope of independence in the near-term.  Today he's nursing a deranged Ludendorff-style 'stab in the back' theory by publishing a long list of people who he's supported in the past and have supposedly joined a "lynch-mob" against him (I'm one of them, needless to say).  Well, it cuts both ways, doesn't it?  Scot Goes Pop is actually several years older than Wings Over Scotland, and I remember being quite supportive of Stuart in the very early days and sending traffic his way - I certainly wouldn't have foreseen at that point that he'd be emailing me out of the blue to call me a "c***" or getting his solicitor to send me legal threats in the dead of night as an intimidatory tactic.

As for his point that he's backed my fundraisers in the past - yes, he has, and that did make a significant difference on occasions, although he's exaggerating the extent of that.  I would imagine perhaps 5-10% of the funds I've raised over the years can be attributed to Wings' support, and I was very grateful for that, and I said so at the time.  But the idea that nobody can do it without him doesn't stack up, as can be seen from the fact that I've successfully run fundraisers since I was officially designated a "c***", as have so many others.

I must admit there's one thing that really does anger me about Stuart's post, and that's the way he's continuing to pursue a vendetta against iScot magazine for something that doesn't really have anything to do with iScot magazine.  As a freelancer, I've written a monthly column for iScot since 2017, and I choose my own topics - Ken, the editor, has never told me what I can and can't write about, and other columnists are given exactly the same freedom.  Around a year ago I wrote a piece that did not personally attack Stuart, but did express scepticism about the wisdom of setting up a Wings party.  Because that bruised his ego, Stuart whipped his fans up into a hate campaign against iScot for the terrible crime of not censoring me, and as a result a small number of people cancelled their subscriptions.  Stuart is, I think, familiar with the words "chilling effect", and that's what he's trying to achieve with these bully-boy tactics.  He wants people to self-censor (or be censored) on the basis that they know the penalty they'll incur if they don't.

I gather that since Stuart published his post, Paul Kavanagh has received several hundred pounds in donations from people showing solidarity in the face of an unwarranted attack - not quite the effect that was intended.  I can't afford to miss such a golden promotional opportunity, so if you want to #BackTheBackstabbers, don't forget that Scot Goes Pop is currently running its own fundraiser HERE.

But above all else, you might want to consider taking out a subscription to iScot.  Believe me, you won't regret it - it's a beautiful publication, and it's a real treat when it arrives in the post each month. A quality pro-independence magazine is a vital asset for the movement, and it deserves our support.

16 comments:

  1. I used to read Wings and gave money to it. I then committed the cardinal sin of writing to ask whether some of my hard-earned cash was used to fund a hopeless and, frankly, rather silly law suit and was immediately banned from Wings. I think the Ghanaian Minister of Tourism was going bonkers long before now, but his psychological state is now giving serious cause for concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve just taken out subscription to iScot Magazine.
    I was an admirer and supporter of Wings for years. But no more. I wont be back. Btw I just noticed I also have been blocked by Ghana Tourisim:) It is sad that he sees any dissent from his views as a reason to turn on people like yourself, Paul K and IScot Magazine. For me it will be onwards and upwards with both votes SNP. independence is still the most important issue for me - greater than any one person or leader past and present, but I see this coming election as vital to send a message to Westminster re keeping their hands off our Parliament. They will be throwing the kitchen sink to try and reduce the SNP vote and if they succeed I don’t trust them not to use their undoubted muscle to reduce Holyrood to a powerless entity, if they think they can get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iScot is a great magazine which I subscribe to as well!

      Delete
  3. The wee guy needs help. His World is imploding all around him and he's never recovered ever since he lost a court battle against Dougdale. She ran riot over the wee guy. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iv'e been intimidated even threatened to be " Killed with Hammers" my crime ? I put a comma in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a subscriber to the iScot magazine, the paper copy, I too get monthly in the post. I agree with James, it's a beauty of a magazine and I look forward to my monthly delivery!
    It's not too dear over the course of a month and it's another thing that's pro independence...
    I definitely recommend it ✅

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there an online version of this magazine? I assume they don't mail to USA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's an online version, although I'd imagine they ship overseas.

      Delete
  7. SNP MP Joanna Cherry is to step back from her public duties for health reasons.

    The Westminster politician made the announcement on her Twitter account on Thursday.

    She said that although she would not be working, her Edinburgh South West constituency office would continue to operate.

    Controversy has surrounded Ms Cherry in recent months over her stance on transgender issues and women's rights.

    She tweeted: "A wee personal announcement. I'm taking some time out for health reasons.

    "My constituency office will continue to deal with all enquiries. I hope my privacy will be respected."

    Earlier this year Ms Cherry, 55, said she had been subjected to an 18-month campaign of abuse due to her stance on transgender issues.

    She was removed from her post as the SNP's justice and home affairs spokeswoman at Westminster in February. The party said this was due to "unacceptable behaviour", not because of her views.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have taken a hard copy of iScot from the off. It is a quality publication and I can thouroughly recommend it.

    I take it Stu is this Ghanaian Board of which people speak. I don't have a Twitter account so hardly ever see Tweets and don't follow what happens there. Sorry for being slow on the uptake.

    So fed up of the internecine stabbing so unlikely ever to get a Twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could I just repeat your praise of iScot magazine. I would also recommend to people that they visit the iScot website which I have just done and subscribe to the magazine (which I have just done) because it is an amazing bargain as well as a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, Iscot is a great publication. The fact that the reverend Stu is ranting against it, shows it must be doing something right. I have also read your own blog daily for a good few years now, as I have Wee Ginger Dug and also Wings, and it's only Wings with which I have a problem; the site has become obsessive over matters in which most Independence supporters have no real interest. He now advocates a scorched earth policy against the SNP, regardless of letting unionism back in control of Scottish politics; and offers nothing but increasingly deranged rants and a hate campaign against people who do not view the world in the same black and white as he does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joanna Cherry attacking wings, unsurprisingly.

    https://www.thenational.scot/news/19188676.joanna-cherry-scotland-no-banana-republic---holyrood-better/

    Joanna Cherry: Scotland is no 'banana republic' – but Holyrood could do better

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don’t think Stuart is saying that other bloggers can’t go on without him, he is saying that he’s helped many bloggers in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor auld Stu. It would take a heart of stone not to laugh.

    ReplyDelete