In his now notorious Newsnight interview a couple of nights ago, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt explained that people were in no way being penalised for having large families, but were instead simply being asked to take "responsibility" for their own "choices", as opposed to expecting the state to finance those choices. Of course by definition the majority of people in large families - and who are thus directly affected by the new cap on household benefits - are children. So let's recap on how Hunt's logic applies to them :
1) Children choose to be born.
2) Children choose to be born into large rather than small families.
3) Children choose to be born into welfare-dependent households.
4) Children choose to have a single parent who earns £44,000 (thus disqualifying them from child benefit) rather than two parents who earn £87,000 between them.
5) Children must take full responsibility for all of these free choices, rather than expecting the taxpayer to finance them.
Well, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say - take a bow, Mr Hunt. And you too, Nick "Conscience of the Coalition" Clegg, for making it all possible. The decent, hard-working, law-abiding majority in this country have been bled dry by these wastrel toddlers for far too long. They neither work nor want.