Friday, August 3, 2018

Scot Goes Pop Fundraiser 2018: An Update

Click here to go straight to the fundraising page.

There are times in life when you realise you're in the middle of making an incredibly stupid mistake, and you have to decide whether to see it through or to try to reverse what you've done, no matter how awkward and embarrassing that might be. As regular readers will be aware, I've been trying to fundraise over the last few weeks to help keep this blog going for another year, but I've been doing it in a fairly low-key way as a sort of bolt-on to last year's fundraising page. That was a really daft idea, because the £7000 target on that page was met twelve months ago and the money has since been completely used up, so there was no proper indication of how much I was trying to raise this year or how far away the new target was from being met. A significant amount was raised during July and the first couple of days of August - more than £3000, in fact, and a million thanks to everyone who has contributed. That's not quite halfway towards the rough target, though, and I began to realise that I was potentially going to have to bore people to tears with reminders about the fundraiser for months to come if I didn't bite the bullet and set up a new page with a more meaningful target figure. I was just in the middle of doing that when I suddenly noticed that it was perfectly possible to edit an existing fundraiser and adjust the target! Remind me to actually check these things in future. So I've now adjusted the target to £15,500. For the avoidance of doubt, that does not mean I'm seeking to raise anything like that amount during the current fundraising period - the running total stood at £7,800 after last year, so if/when the £15,500 target is met, that will mean that just over £7,500 has actually been raised this year.

Here are a few questions and answers about the fundraiser...

What's the plan for Scot Goes Pop over the next twelve months?

The mind boggles as to what might happen over that period. A Tory leadership contest? A snap general election? A referendum on the terms of Brexit? The calling of a second independence referendum? Any or all of the above could happen at any time and at very short notice. The beauty of these fundraisers is that it gives me the flexibility to drop everything and provide extensive polling analysis when called for, even if that temporarily becomes a task almost on a par with a full-time job. That was very much the case during the 2014 independence referendum, the 2015 and 2017 general elections, and the 2016 EU referendum. (Oddly enough, there was no spike in visitor numbers during the EU referendum in the way that there was for the other three votes, but I still gave you the round-the-clock polling analysis whether you wanted it or not!)

What gap in the market does Scot Goes Pop fill?

We generally only ever see opinion polls through a unionist filter. The vast majority of Scottish polls are commissioned by anti-independence clients in the media, and even if the results are favourable for the SNP or Yes, that's rarely the story that people actually read about. Scot Goes Pop's polling coverage is a pro-independence corrective to that bias, although I would stress that it isn't about propaganda or wishful thinking - I also spend a fair bit of my time correcting misinformation about polls put about by Yes people.

How many people does Scot Goes Pop reach?

I have to sheepishly admit at this point that I'm not quite sure. I've had Google Analytics installed for years, but it suddenly dawned on me a few months ago that I've had it set up incorrectly all along, and that the figures I was seeing completely excluded visitors to the mobile version of the site. So any traffic/visitor numbers I mentioned until the end of the last year were likely to be a very significant underestimate.  According to the latest figures from Traffic Estimate, the blog reached a combined total of 55,400 unique visitors across two domains over the last 30 days (48,400 for scotgoespop.blogspot.com, and 7000 in the early part of the month for the now-defunct scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk domain).  I've no idea how accurate that is, but to give you a rough guide, it compares to an estimated 39,500 unique visitors for The Ferret, and 74,100 for Bella Caledonia.

Are the fundraisers your sole income?

No, of course not, and I really must stress that point for the benefit of our resident troll who likes posting comments along the lines of "get out of bed and do a proper job, you Jocknatsis scrounger". I have other writing-related income, and I'm glad to say I also do some work that has absolutely nothing to do with either writing or politics. However, I simply wouldn't be able to devote anything like as much time to the blog if it wasn't for the fundraisers.

Does the fundraiser help towards running costs?

Strictly speaking no, because the blogging platform I currently use is free.  However, there are a few miscellaneous expenses that are indirectly associated with blogging - for example travel costs if I'm asked to go somewhere for a podcast or rally or whatever, so the fundraiser does help with that.  In the past I've also experimented with using a portion of the funds on Facebook advertising, which is hopefully a win/win for all concerned - promoting this particular blog while also widening the reach of the wider pro-indy alternative media and its message.

Why don't you use the funds to commission an opinion poll?

In an ideal world I'd love to do that (if I can find a polling firm that is still willing to speak to me, that is!).  However, polls are expensive and I'd realistically only be able to do it if the target was significantly exceeded.  I've found in the past that fundraisers tend to only just about reach their target, so it's probably unlikely that I'd ever be able to take the idea forward, but I'll certainly keep an open mind about it.

What happens to the funds if you can't keep blogging?

That point always troubles me, because fundraisers are effectively there to cover a mountain of work that hasn't actually been done yet, and it's impossible to know when personal circumstances might suddenly change and get in the way.  As I've said in past years, if I wasn't able to keep going for any reason I would pass any remaining funds on to other pro-independence alternative media.

If everyone who has read this blog in the last month donated just 50p, would the target be met straight away?

Yes!

Click here if you'd like to donate.

29 comments:

  1. Could you post how much over the 15.5 you would need to fund a series of three polls with proper questions and the same standards and the same age group and something approaching balanced sub sets? Just in case people are willing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palmer & Tomlin, sounds like a Vaudeville act or a soap powder.

      Delete
    2. GWC2 sounds like an enraged ultra-right-wing halfwit.

      Delete
  2. James, thought I clocked you in the Raven Bar, Renfield St yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cough up, cheapskate.

      Delete
    2. I did have my usual pint of Estrella, however I only cough up for the Labour Party.
      Nat sis and their Tory pals verboten.

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure if this is some sort of subtle humour that can only be picked up by bats, but no, I have never been to the Raven Bar in Renfield Street.

      Delete
    4. It was a genuine comment and not onerous. Buy you a pint some time when you get over your English hatred.

      Delete
    5. Maybe it was Crow Road or Flamingo Gardens in Ruchazie. These pills make me forget things. The nurse calls me Bird Brain and tells me to stop tweeting.

      Delete
    6. I've been in Tenerife.
      Nobody's listening to me. I've been in Tenerife.

      Delete
  3. Mr Kelly, YouGov has just put out the questionnaire for a poll which seems to be focussed on Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,

    I would be interested whether you received a tenner from me. The last part of the process not at all clear whether the process completed or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When was it? If it was in the last few hours it doesn't appear to have been completed.

      Delete
    2. Seems to have gone through this time!

      Best wishes.

      Delete
  5. Why are you people chunteting on about Scotland all the time? Theirs more things in the world than that. Get a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dont seem to know much. Tipycal thick nat si jocko wally

      Delete
    2. Foo Nurt? Foo Man Choo more like. Cream puff villa man. Ship ahoy!

      Delete
  6. I'm confused. There's been two articles in the herlad attacking Peter Bell for swearing at a woman who abused him on the basis of his sex and race. Both of which are hate crimes under the law.
    Yet the same rag also has another puff piece about wife-beater Darren McGarvey. A genuine misogynist. A man who violently attacked a defenceless woman. A spouse abuser.

    It's odd how the egalitarian man who just happens to be grumpy and swear at everybody is painted as a woman-hating caveman yet the wife-beater is lauded by all and sundry. I don't remember them giving this much support to Bill Walker MSP.

    It seems that JK Plagiarist doesn't just buy prizes for her pets. She can grant absolution too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man who violently attacked a defenceless woman. A spouse abuser.

      Er, you got a link for any of this?

      Delete
    2. What are you gibbering about?

      Delete
    3. Anon, you love yer links. I like lorne, black puddin and tattie scones wie fried eggs.

      Delete
  7. Cause they taste good but they're spot on if you pop a pudding in yor gusset.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pleased to donate James. I value your analysis even though I sometimes disagree with your conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anyway to donate that does'nt include using a credit card ?

    ReplyDelete