Monday, September 9, 2024

A personal statement on the Alba leadership's bizarre and unconstitutional decision to remove me from a directly elected party role

First, some context.  Almost as soon as I started participating in Alba internal elections in 2021, I received representations from members urging me to push for democratisation of the party, in particular a fully elected NEC.  To be frank, I don't think I did enough to argue for that type of reform during my year on the NEC (2021-22), partly because it was a very new experience for me and I was slightly overawed at meetings (and I probably wasn't alone in that).  But I was determined to make up for that last year, and so I made one member, one vote for NEC elections the centrepiece of my pitch for the Membership Support Convener election. I very nearly won that election - I narrowly topped the first round vote, and lost the second round vote to Daniel Jack (who I gathered was largely opposed to reform) by a margin of just 50.5% to 49.5%.

All was not lost, though. Because of the total chaos that engulfed the NEC elections last year, a special constitution review group was set up to consider issues such as democratisation.  It was far from perfect - only four of the eight members were to be elected, with the other four appointed by the NEC itself (which arguably has a vested interest against reform), and even the four elected members were not to be elected by the membership as a whole, but by the small selectorate of the National Council. Nevertheless, the outcome of that election in January was exciting, with three of the four successful candidates, of which I was one, being pro-reform. We didn't necessarily agree with each other on the exact nature of the reforms we wanted, and we were always going to be outnumbered by the four NEC appointees, but nevertheless we had a powerful moral mandate which we were optimistic would bear at least some fruit.

That mandate has now been subverted and turned upside down.  The candidate who topped the poll was within a few weeks effectively forced out of the party by some of the most disgraceful behaviour I've ever witnessed - but I didn't blog about what happened (except in the vaguest terms to try to alert people to the fact that something was terribly amiss), precisely because I do take the confidentiality rules seriously and I do abide by them.

Without that person it was always going to be a much more uphill struggle, but I thought back to my regrets about being too passive on the NEC, and I was determined this time I was going to stick to my guns and speak up for what I believe in and what I was elected to push for.  If I can blow my own trumpet just a bit, I really do feel I went the extra mile.  I was subjected to mockery and pretty blatant bullying attempts, and it would have been very easy to just roll over and go with the flow and say "OK, OK, Alba is already as democratic as it needs to be", but I did not do that.  Why not?  Well, because my aim was not to please the leadership and get a plum spot on the Holyrood list, but instead to actually meet the group's remit and try to make Alba fit for purpose.  I was almost in a state of shock after some of the meetings, that's how difficult they were, but I kept plugging away.

My reward for doing that has been to be informed by Chris McEleny this evening that I have been removed from my elected position as a member of the constitution review group.  I have since checked and I am reliably informed by someone with legal expertise that this action is completely unconstitutional - ie. there is quite simply no provision in the Alba constitution for overturning an election result and removing an elected member of a committee or group.  This therefore appears to be yet another example of the NEC making up the rules as they go on, following on from episodes in which office bearers have stepped down and been replaced by hand-picked appointees, even though the constitution clearly states that the runner-up in the relevant office bearer election should automatically fill the role.  Not to mention, of course, the notorious "dossier" incident at last year's conference in which the original ballots to elect the office bearers were unilaterally nullified by the leadership after they had already taken place. No-one knows whether that was because the "wrong" people were deemed to have won - but if that was the case, internal party democracy would clearly be a sham.  My own unconstitutional ousting from a directly elected position does little to dispel that depressing suspicion.

The nominal reason given for my removal is almost an irrelevance, because it has nothing to do with the real reason, but for what it's worth the excuse given is a breach of confidentiality.  I am extremely confident I am guilty of no such breach.  Helpfully, because the alleged breach presumably took place on this blog or on Twitter, people can make up their own minds as to whether I have done anything that would justify this extraordinary sanction.  What I actually did was write a blogpost or two discussing the general issues relating to the constitution review, which was an entirely appropriate thing to do because we are constantly told that Alba is a "member led party" and that members will make the final decisions.  However, I made very sure I did not disclose details of the group's meetings.

Three out of the four elected group members were elected on a pro-reform ticket.  Only one of those three now remains.  The consequence is obvious: there will be no reform.  Party members have had no say whatsoever on this cynical overturning of their democratic choice.  What I would say to Alba members is this: your "member-led party" is being stolen from you, right in front of your eyes, and if you're going to get it back you'll need to fight for it.  If you trust the people in control to do the right thing by you, you're going to be very badly let down, as you already have been time and again.

There has been a concerted effort in recent months by leading Alba figures to weave a "stab in the back" mythology in order to blame all of Alba's ills on a "wee gang" of "malcontents" who have left the party.  I'm breaching no confidentiality rules in saying that Shannon Donoghue, Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh and others have tried to get that embarrassing playground narrative going, because they have done so entirely openly and on the record.  Well, let me make this clear, guys: you can bully me, mock me, belittle me, find fault with my nose or whatever, but unlike others before me, I will not be leaving, no matter what the provocation.  Unless you come up with a pretext for expelling me (and that would not surprise me in the slightest), I will be going precisely nowhere.  I will be fighting to have this wrong put right and to ensure Alba's internal democracy is upheld.  I will probably fail, but by God I'm going to try, and I urge all Alba members of good conscience to join me.

61 comments:

  1. The constitution working group is meant to be discussing members issuse raised at a National Assembly to be held early in 2024 . No such Assembly has been held . So if it has been meeting what on earth has it been discussing as members have not met. Sorry you have been removed we can add it for items to be discussed at the National Assembly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty new to politics when I joined Alba. I worked my arse off but couldn't remain when I seen how they fixed their NEC. My honesty brought me a barrage of abuse. I was attacked by prominent people for weeks. While I couldn't remain I will also not allow myself to be bullied. I will not be kept quiet nor will I shut up like people often tell me. I sleep easy at night knowing that I 100% did the right thing in speaking out. My loyalty was always to the people I care about most, and thats those sufferring in poverty while parties play their power games and take the total piss out of their paying members. Good on ye James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like yourself Leanne, I left the party due ti the fix of the NEC. when they asked why I was leaving the party they got both barrels. James, more power to you mate, but I think you will be pissing into the wind.

      Delete
  3. You're to good for Alba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alba is just a grift for Salmond and Tasmina now. It’s not a serious political party. Two by-elections 20 miles apart and a week apart. They’ve put up the Robert Reid in Perth - where he has no track record and Alba didn’t stand in the GE and Alan Ross in Lochee who was a councillor and stood in the 2022 council election and stood in Dundee Central in the GE
    Why?
    Why not just Alan Ross and try to get a good result
    You know sometimes I suspect Salmond might not be the best political strategist Scotland has ever known

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've disagreed several times in the past James. But on this you are spot on. The reason I left Alba. - Until ALL posts are elected, and ALL results made clear and publid, they are a lost cause. - Aparently he who pays the piper, in this case, calls the tunes. I cannot believe that Alex with all his experience made such a fundamental mistake. Might be he believes his own publicity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that it has come to this James. Like quite a few people who have left or are considering leaving the Alba Party you have put your heart and soul into trying to help create a viable party. It is clear that it will not be a replacement for the SNP, at least not in the foreseeable future. A 'members led party', as we were promised, would have had a real chance to create the kind of politics that Scotland needs now, after the multiple breaches of trust, political inertia, vapid incompetence and insane identity politics of Sturgeon's SNP. Trust needed to be built again, with vision and integrity. Instead, it's more of the same cult of personality politics, with an even worse concentration of power in the hands of 'HQ'. Characterising critics as 'malcontents' is more of the same ruthless, mindless mush. The first tranche of prominent activists to leave were slandered for their commitment to tackling the insane identity politics that drove them to leave the SNP. They have kept their own counsel, but it is never a good idea to keep stum about a lack of fairness. The Alba Party leadership has actively resisted attempts by concerned activists to sort out the party constitution, after the debacle of the Stirling conference, where an 'oral report' was given, instead of written amendments that delegates could read - and that was after a whole year had been given to the first constitutional review group to write them up. But hey - why would 'professional' politicians trust unpaid activists to draw up a competent constitution, when the ongoing absence of one permits them to interpret it any way they want - and they always have the power to inflict unconstitutional disciplinary measures on those who capable of critical thinking, while dismissing breaches of the constitution?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a while now I've thought that any positive political work towards independence that was going to be done within the SNP would have to be done on a tightly organised 'entryist' basis.

    Long ago I spent some years on that type of strategy within the Labour Party in England. It can be effective up to a point in winning over individuals to more radical/democratic ideas but the problem with it is that it is vastly time consuming reducing the public facing aspects of political strategy.

    I hesitated to join Alba after leaving the SNP in summer 2022 and have gradually come to think that it looks like the same situation would prevail there with the added disadvantage of the smaller organisation.

    Conclusion for now is that our political parties are so badly infected with careerism, leadership centralisation and machine politics in general to be simply not worth the effort except as something to vote for in elections on a lesser evil basis.

    The non party poltical independence movement is, for now, the best place to employ the precious time of activists. The groups exist, the networks are there. Although the road looks long and uncertain at least our energy will be going into changing minds on the key issues and making the case for independence stronger.

    I respect your efforts James but is it really the best use of your abilities ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The issue is though is that we need a political vehicle to push for a mechanician to allow an independence vote to take place.

      Without that it wouldn't matter how high we manage to get support if there's no way of putting it into practise. Some also need to be believe that it's a realistic prospect before considering supporting it and without a mechanician it currently isn't.

      Delete
  8. Completely unnecessary as well even from their point of view. If they already had an in built majority there's no need to remove.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of what has been done is completely unnecessary. The old and new SNP had Policy development committees, but the resolution to create one in the Alba Party was rejected by the party chair on the basis that it would bypass party democracy. They were so obtuse that they didn't want to acknowledge that a policy development committee is part of a process of development of policy. The final decision to adopt policy is always taken by conference.

      Delete
  9. This sort of thing isn't worth it. Walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be interesting to hear how James intends to reform the Alba Party when Alex & Tasmina don't listen to their internal elected staff and therefore are not going to even think about listening to general members. I suppose that overthrowing Alex & Tasmina is the obvious one, but no-one is even going to think about that - they seem to be the whole point of the party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Join the SNP, you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had wanted to do that, I could have done so at any point in the last three years, but I did not. If in the future the powers-that-be dream up a pretext to expel me from Alba (which would not surprise me given what I have seen happen to others), obviously at that point I would be free to consider my options. But unless that happens, I intend to stick with Alba and try to make it work, even though that's becoming harder and harder and harder.

      Delete
  12. Keep your chin up, James.

    Glad to hear you are still staying in the party.

    I don’t think they are perfect for a second, however, I will most likely be giving them both my votes, as they’re the only electable option for Independence in 2026.

    We need to make sure they don’t turn into another SNP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already have.

      Delete
    2. They are worse than SNP, appointed people instead of elected. Eg McEleny, Ashmed -Sheik & Corrie Wilson.
      Absolutely no democracy in the party. As for the internal elections what a farce ! I really expected better of Alex Salmond but unfortunately, he has turned out to be someone who likes to get his own way, what Alex wants Alex gets. Therefore Ahmed- Sheikh & Abdhul Mhajid are elected the big donors to Alba got to keep them
      Sweet !

      Delete
    3. Alba consists (entirely?) of SNP people. I don't think many of them left because they disagreed with the SNP's internal governance. I think it was mostly about transexuals and Salmond adulation.

      Delete
    4. In general I've tended to describe what has happened in Alba as being "as bad as the SNP" rather than "worse than the SNP", but the nullifying of elections that had already taken place was perhaps the one time that Alba slipped into "even worse than the SNP" territory. I can't think of any equivalent incident in the SNP. I initially took the leadership's explanation at face value, but I'm now better informed about what was going on.

      Delete
    5. What was the leadership’s explanation?

      Apparently after investigation there was nothing wrong with the vote - so why didn’t the initial vote stand ?

      Delete
    6. So, are you concerned about the constitution shenanigans, as described at 1.55 AM? I mean - the leadership of a political party that believes that it's perfectly fine to attempt to railroad constitutional amendments through which have still not been published and indeed the nature of which were not even mentioned - just a call to 'be kind' from the secretariat to the short term working group on the constitution ( who shortly after that was appointed as Senior Policy officer and unconstitutionally appointed as Deputy General Secretary, which is not a role that features anywhere in the constitution)?

      Delete
  13. The latest poll puts Alba on 2% of the regional vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an unhappy ship won't go forward any.

      Delete
    2. Alba have achieved absolutely nothing since they were formed.
      Well, other than take a few votes from the SNP in elections.

      Delete
    3. And pay a few salaries?

      Delete
  14. I'm not sure I agree with the whole reform agenda in a fledgling party for a number of reasons but the treatment of you as an individual is poorly judged and sounds like bullying. Keep the chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is the final straw which leads me to resign from Alba. I stayed this long because I knew you were on the inside and lobbying for more democratisation. I didn’t leave the SNP to join a mini SNP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The issue we face is that the SNP are beyond redemption for many, Alba have become a mini-SNP, ISP have flown so far under the radar nobody knows they exist & the 'Independents for Independence' effort will likely mirror the success of RISE (remember them?).

    What do we do with that reality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set up a system of selection of politicians separate from political parties and choose who to support based on the responses of candidates from all parties and none.

      Delete
  17. Was one of the first members--hey ho--left months ago. All talk NO ACTION. Al Sal has turned out to be the biggest disappointment in my long life. A member of the p rivy council and i am now convinced that he knew what n s was and what she would do. Captured. The keech that is the u k is stinking and goes very deep. Hey Ho again. Today is still a GOOD DAY. We WILL be FREE oneday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knew she would try to jail him?

      Delete
    2. Laughable isn't it? Salmond was such a traitor that he actively promoted the woman who would try to frame him for rape! The lunatics have taken over the asylum if they believe that.

      Delete
    3. Anon at 4.09pm Has to be Dr Jim. SGP’s new resident looney toon. Where is IFS to confirm it?

      Delete
  18. There is a comment in the BBC report that Salmond only cared for himself not for the party or for Scotland.

    The people he promoted in the SNP - Sturgeon, Murrell, Swinney were all useless and/or toxic
    Exactly the same type of people he promotes in Alba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also claim he made people cry, would take anything the BBC says with a massive grain of salt.

      Delete
    2. I would say for sure that is true

      Delete
    3. Salmond Sturgeon and Swinney went against the British state for a cause they believed in.

      They all could have had an easy life in private but wished Scotland free like other nations.

      Let's not throw all perspective away because of a fued.

      Delete
  19. The treatment of individuals says a lot about the culture of an organisation.

    I hae ma doots about overcladding a party with burdensome constitutions and meetings for meetings but being civil is the mark of the organisation. If you can't treat people with respect, don't expect my vote as you're not trustworthy.

    It would be better to have a slimmed down, simple message party with a few basic tenets. I'm reading posts here about deputy secretaries and senior policy officers etc. There is one over arching reason for Alba, independence. And standing up for the ordinary working scot when the times come.. i.e grangemouth or similar. Keep to that and you've a winning strategy. but only if you engender decency and spirit. Sounds like there are too many fiefdoms. Put the egos to the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A constitution is never 'burdensome'. It's a basic requirement for the fair and efficient functioning of any organisation, especially a political party. After the absolute debacle that is the current SNP, I am astonished that any thinking person, let alone one with a claim to political knowledge, should imagine that concentrated power, wielded without fairness or without adhering to a set of rules (which is what a constitution is) is a good thing that will produce real benefit for a population.

      Delete
    2. Anon at 5.44pm: I completely agree. From his writing style, the person you are responding to is the same person who has been posting for months arguing essentially for Alba to become a one-man dictatorship as if that would be an exercise in "cutting down on red tape".

      Delete
    3. Surely you jest James! That would have to be someone who doesn't believe in democracy or critical thought. The 'old' SNP had its tribalism, but there were enough activists who were prepared to speak truth to power (and who held the respect of members for that) to restrain the authoritarian impulses of the leadership. But then, they knew that it is far, far easier to subvert a political party where power is centralised. Salmond was regarded by Sillars as something of an authoritarian. He has failed to learn the lessons of handing power to 'trusted' individuals.

      Delete
    4. I have said this before yes but first and foremost they shouldn't be bullying people with other views.

      It's possible to hold two positions at once.

      Delete
    5. And yes I agree there should be a constitution, just not that it's endlessly debated to the point of losing focus on what really matters amd that it needed be overly convoluted.

      Decency among people is the main thing and seems Alba is lacking that.

      Delete
  20. Sorry but not at all surprised by this James. You will be suspended and expelled for some spurious reason - this blog post ought to do it in fact - "damaging the party" would be my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye then the public attacks will start. Honesty and integrity are punished and opinions are not allowed

      Delete
  21. Alba is full of bullying bastards.
    The once great Alex Salmond is no more than a self centered man child. If he doesn't get his way your out.
    The people he has surrounding him, are useless crooks who couldn't lace up the shoes of true intelligent independence supporters.
    The day will come when they realise it's them alone that have fucked everything up and sailed us down the river.
    Independence should be taken on by the people not self centred politicians who couldn't care less.
    Alba, a member led party... And pigs fly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Salmond says you should not trust the BBC after he admits he trusted the BBC to make a serious history programme about the SNP and yet the two part series starting tonight is billed as the troubled union of Salmond and Sturgeon.
    Very surprising Salmond trusted the BBC in 2024. Not surprising he trusted Sturgeon as she is a snake in the grass. He also naively suggested to the Sturgeon/Murrell business partnership that Murrell should give up his position as SNP Chief Exec. As if they would.

    At present another snake in the grass is the SNP Chief Exec and the SNP leader is a useless devolutionist. Somehow I doubt the BBC will point this out in their programme.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yvonne Ridley (comment above)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yvonne, I've deleted your longer comment, because it wasn't constructive and it clearly wasn't intended to be. Out of respect for you, I did not name you in the above blogpost as one of the three leading Alba people I've previously seen trying to whip up a hatefest against "malcontents", but I did see you do that on Twitter, and I thought it was shameful and cowardly. Above all else it just made me feel incredibly sad for you, because I knew you didn't believe what you were saying and yet for some reason you clearly felt you had to make a big show of saying it. I don't understand why someone like you would go down that road. I have to say my gut reaction at the time was that you were trying to ingratiate yourself with the leadership because you want to be a list MSP. I may be wrong about that, but that was how it came across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say you are incredibly perceptive James. Well done you

      Delete
    2. Indeed James - for a political party that is struggling to achieve the decent result it achieved (on a mainstream media blackout) in the 2021 Holyrood elections after just 6 weeks of existence, it's remarkable how some people are prepared to become slavish acolytes to a leadership which is just not interested in doing the necessity policy and organisational leg work to have a realistic chance of rescuing the cause of independence from the jaws of the SNP.

      Delete
  25. Alba is a busted flush. There appears to be no party at present with Independence its priority. How depressing that after 4 decades plus of moving towards Indy we find ourselves here. A S and N S will never be forgiven. James has shown integrity and courage. Ho doesn’t fit in with the current crop of careerists and entryists. He will soon be kicked out of Alba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't Alba need at least some electoral success for careerists to have a future?

      Delete
    2. Ah but some of those careerists are already making a killing by doing bugger all in their "policy development officer" the likes of Robert Reid and Corri Wilson. Chris Mceleny is another one who's got too big for his boots.

      Delete
    3. Just members subs for the high heid yins usually does the trick. Careerists don’t have being elected as their priority.

      Delete
    4. But without any electoral success the lifespan a political party tends to be very limited.

      Delete
    5. Anon at 10.22 am. I think you may have little experience of the make up and operation of a political party.

      Delete
  26. Yvonne Ridley: Your first comment yesterday was, among many other things, an absolutely blatant attempt to get me expelled, complete with a number of cowardly justifiations for the game you were playing. And today you attempt a second comment whingeing about "censorship". It is, frankly, beyond parody. Do you seriously think anyone would have tolerated what you tried to do yesterday, no matter what their commitment to free speech? That's certainly not a commitment you share, is it, given that you think people should face expulsion for expressing their own views. I have every respect for your campaigning on Palestine, but within Alba you seem to have turned into the absolute worst type of machine politician, where all that turns you on is fawning loyalty, authoritarianism and the disciplining of dissent. I mean, what sort of language is "naysayers" and "malcontents"? There's a touch of Stalinism about the way you talk these days, and you do it with so much relish.

    ReplyDelete