Wednesday, June 22, 2016

If it's Brexit, what then for Scotland?

Just a quick note to let you know that I have a new article at the International Business Times about the potential impact of a Leave vote tomorrow on Scottish politics : the powers that would be automatically transferred from Brussels to Holyrood, the constitutional crisis that might ensue if Westminster tried to breach the Sewel convention by clawing some of those powers back, and of course the very real prospect of an early second independence referendum.  You can read the article HERE.

3 comments:

  1. James, what do you make of Peat Worrier's post on this subject?

    https://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/what-would-brexit-mean-for-devolution.html

    Speaking personally, I've found cause to disagree with nearly every pro-independence blogger on one thing or another, but off-hand I can think of only two things I disagreed with you about, this "automatic transfer/no breach of Sewel" being one.

    I would love for you to be right on this, of course. It's just I see absolutely no reason to believe that the chuckleheids in charge would continue to respect Sewel given how things have gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thought I'd say l liked the term 'chuckleheids'.

      Delete
  2. In a similar vein, what do you make of Wings' take on the subject? Either way, thank you for your input and I'm not about to hold you accountable if it doesn't pan out the way you suggest.

    ReplyDelete