Tuesday, April 12, 2011

If English Higher Education policy has 'nothing to do' with the Scottish Liberal Democrats, why have they helped to vote through higher fees for English students?

Lib Dem blogger Caron Lindsay left a couple of comments on my post about Tavish Scott's double-standard of 'basking in the reflected glory' of Westminster coalition policies he agrees with, while refusing to explictly distance himself from coalition policies such as tuition fees that he must by definition disagree with (because the Scottish party has followed a completely different path).  Here is what Caron had to say -

"Policy on Scottish Higher Education is none of Nick Clegg's business. It's all down to the Scottish Party. Similarly, the Scottish Party has no control over what the party in England decides to do on tuition fees down there. That's what devolution is all about."

Which begs the obvious question - what on earth was "Deputy Leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats" and East Dunbartonshire MP Jo Swinson doing voting through higher university tuition fees for English students?  The same question of course also applies to a number of other Scottish Lib Dem MPs, such as Danny Alexander and Malcolm Bruce.

Not so much a case of the Lib Dems having their cake and eating it, but of having their cake, eating it, and then consuming it.

2 comments:

  1. Ezio Auditore da Firenze - Alex Salmond for First MinisterApril 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

    Why is Caron much less willing to comment on this particular post?

    Most bewildering, I'm sure you'll agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, partly because I've been too busy blogging, campaigning and looking after 3 kids this week to keep up with every single thing that has been written on every single blog.

    And then while my daughter was unwrapping a mummy at the Science Festival today, I wrote out a great big long reply on my phone and then it wouldn't let me post it. I said some words she would fine me for if she'd heard them.

    I think I've explained in my response to the next post about the Tav/Brewer interview.

    ReplyDelete